- Why it's important, udpate, what BWT's next move is
Elizabethton Tweetsie: update - Dan Reese
Attached please find the talking points to use when calling Senator Alexander's office. Again, we are asking that you reach out to your "grass tops" (board members, business representatives, elected officials, transportation staff, partner organizations leaders, etc.) and ask that they call in to the Senators office to voice their support for maintaining the current level of funding for Transportation Enhancements. The transportation staffer you should ask for is Tom Craig and the phone number (202) 224-4944. We should have a date finalized very soon on when we will ask for these calls to be made.
We really appreciate your help. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Mike Samuelson, Member Services and Open Streets Coordinator
Folks, a little delayed, but here is our agenda. I'm going to include Jenny Park in Chattanooga, and Millie Halvorsen. If Millie can dial in, I'm going to modify the agenda to let her give a quick update on SRTS early in the agenda.
Special Guest: Jenny Park from Chattanooga (Phil will introduce her!)
Board Member Nomination and Election - Jenny Park (WE NEED A QUORUM!)
Review Memphis Strategic Workshop Meeting
Teams are forming and will meet via WebEx and present plans and budgets in a future board meeting. Note that committee participation does not restrict ability to work on specific projects in other committees.
Education Committee – part of our 501c3 activities (Kyle lead, Phil?)
- Tennessee Bike Ped Summit
- LCI Statewide Committee?
- Other Activities TBD
Membership and Communication - Build capacity by deliberately engaging public. (Jenny/Pat/Nelson/Tom)
- Flow: Newsletter -> Members -> Volunteers -> Board Members / Donors
- Possible member incentives: T-shirts, bumper stickers, other “special” things?
- Regular Scheduled Electronic Newsletter (all board members and/or committees must contribute
periodically, educational, provides loud heartbeat) First newsletter will be to explain the newsletter,
the schedule, how to unsubscribe, what we’ve been up to, what we plan to do.
- Facebook, Twitter sync, maybe Tweetdeck or something?
- Publicity plan?
Tennessee Government – Target relationships with TDOT, TDOS, TDOHealth, Dept of Tourism, Governor (Dan Reese/Caroline Cooley/Tom?)
- Continue work towards state BPAC
- Dept of Tourism should include bicycling tourism in portfolio, touring routes
- Influence Policy, Preserve functions during reorgs or cut-backs
- Relationships Critical
Enforcement and Legislative – Promote new legislation while engaging the community to assist.
(Mark lead/Carey Rogers)
- Right hand signal legislation
- “Dooring” legislation
- 3 Foot Sting – Tallahassee model
- Due Care Education
- Drivers License Test items
Fund Raising Committee – raise money based on what we’ve done (proof that we’re in business and doing good work), and what we’re going to do. (Anthony/everyone)
- Board members produce list of 10 potential givers
- Fund raising campaigns (like NPR or LAB)
- Tax exemption letters
- Grant Seeking
- Pledging models discussed. Commit to give to match grants, incentive for others to give more.
- In-kind recording system discussed. Will help when seeking grant dollars.
- More engagement with partners (president confession) – JRCF, etc.